I came to the law from a grassroots, community organizing background, and my work is motivated by expanding access to legal services. I am particularly passionate about democratic, community control of housing, land, and workplaces. My current position at the Sustainable Economies Law Center has trained me to serve worker-owned businesses, nonprofits, land trusts, social enterprises, and other creative projects which I believe can help build a more just society. I look forward to helping your idea get off the ground, or helping your existing endeavor to navigate legal gray areas.
- Staff Attorney, Sustainable Economies Law Center (current)– housing and worker cooperatives, nonprofits, land trusts, local government law, policy advocacy
- Public Advocates– affordable housing, land use
- East Bay Community Law Center– immigration, landlord/tenant law
- Shute, Mihaly, & Weinberger– environmental, CEQA, local government law, affordable housing
- Accountability Counsel– environmental, human rights
- JD, UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
- BA, University of Washington, Journalism and Sociology
Law Office of Sara Stephens
P.O. Box 10892
Oakland, CA 94610
Please do not provide any confidential information when you contact me. No attorney-client relationship is formed when you contact me.